- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms, half sliced and half pulsed in a food processor
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 12 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp organic sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven on medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms to pan, and cook until water has evaporated, this should take 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture is mostly dry, add tomato paste and spices. Stir well to coat.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, bring to a low simmer, and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, taste to adjust seasonings. Serve over your favorite pasta.